Thursday, December 21, 2006

 
As Barone said, "What is with China?" Just when you think you have everything figured out, China decides to throw you a curve ball. My vacation planning was going very well and then Nathan informed me his boss decided to send him on a business trip exactly when Barone and I were supposed to come up. Since then I have been frantically trying to find someone that can cover my classes so Barone and I can go up to Beijing earlier so that Nathan is actually there. Once again as soon as I find people that can cover my classes my supervisor told me that she heard that the Chinese government changed it's mind about what days the country is going to get off for New Years. Now instead of getting Saturday, Sunday and Monday (New Years Day) off, now the whole country is going to have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off for new years and work Saturday and Sunday instead. This means that now my classes will be pushed back further and I have to find more subs. AAAAAHHHH! My mother was getting mad at me earlier because I couldn't give her exact dates or times for when I would have time for her to come visit and now hopefully everyone can understand a little better what I'm dealing with here! I find it hard to understand how a country of a billion people sit and wait up until a week before a holiday to actually find out when they have off of work. Don't people make plans?! Its frustrating, but sadly I am getting used to it. Barone also keeps asking me about buying our train tickets for Beijing and I keep explaining that it is done the week you are leaving. This is also very different from back home where if you are planning a trip you try to do it as far in advance as possible. Not China, everything here is last minute. Now to change the subject. The most awkward thing in China is seeing another white person. For some reason there is "obligation" to acknowledge the fact that you are both white and not Chinese. The casual head nod, an awkward, "Hey," its all a part of seeing another white person. The worst is when you get stuck in an elevator. You thought elevator silence was awkward in America! There is this strange need to say hello, but then you really have nothing else to say because the only thing you have in common is the color of your skin. I don't know how to explain it but you will have to trust me, its weird. I hope everyone was able to see the video of my 1st Graders singing We Wish You A Merry Christmas. As soon as I publish this I am going to go back to that website and upload more pictures for everyone to see. I think it will work very well. Have a Merry Christmas and I will be sure to update you on how I spend my holidays here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?